Monday, June 29, 2009

Save Money on Vanilla Extract

I make my own vanilla extract. It is easy and far cheaper than buying teeny bottles of it at the store. Imitation vanilla flavoring is made with an ingredient of paint thinner, so making your own is healthier too. I just made a fifth of vanilla extract for about $13. I bought 2 vanilla beans at Meijer for $6.99 and a fifth of cheap vodka for $5.75. Just put the vanilla beans in the vodka and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Vanilla extract. If you look at the store bought bottles of real vanilla extract (not imitation vanilla) it says vanilla beans and alcohol are the main ingredients. I stumbled across a website selling a bunch of 25 tahitian vanilla beans for $29.99(1.20). That is far cheaper than what I paid at Meijers($3.50 each). Next time I need to make some I will order the beans from them and have it even cheaper. The link for the beans is:http://www.fotvn.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13 Hope this helps y'all live more frugally.

No comments:

Post a Comment